Growing Up Too Fast Already

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

April 11, 2009

It's a....



That's right, after a long time waiting (or laboring), we gave birth to an amazing little boy on Wednesday, April 8th at 6:22pm, weighing 8lbs, 19.5 inches long. Not that we were all that surprised because I thought I was having a little boy from day one, but it was still fun to find out the true, end result.
Sonje watched as they pulled the baby from my incision. He got to cut the umbilical cord. I laid on the surgery bed being stitched up.
Unfortunately though our little guy was having oxygen problems and they were also concerned about an infection in the lungs as well since he had pooped while in distress during labor, so he was raced off to the NICU to have tests run, his lungs pumped, x-rays, etc. etc.
Sonje followed our little guy to the NICU while I was sent to the recovery room for a few hours. I had maybe 2 minutes with our baby and was so bummed that I couldn't be with him. I was of course a nervous mom over my baby having to go to the NICU. I was told it wouldn't be until the morning where I could use a wheel chair so for now I was stuck in the hospital bed. They won't allow you to get up after a c-section because of the anthesia....no feeling from waste down. In fact, they told me it wouldn't be until the morning that I could go in to see my baby. Well.... that didn't fly with me. Gratefully I had a nice nurse in the recovery room push to get me in to the NICU to see my son. So, with her help, she wheeled my hospital bed into the NICU so I could have about 10-15 minutes with him that evening.
After, I wastransferred to my postpartum room (#357) to sleep and further recover. Sonje stayed with our baby for much of the first night. By the next morning, he was off oxygen. The NICU was still reviewing his lungs as he had fluid in there- apparently its pretty common for c-section babies to have fluid. Thankfully he didn't have an infection or anything but as a precaution, they put him on IV antibiotics anyways. The next morning I was wheeled into the NICU to see our sweet guy. He's just precious.



- more on next post...

4 comments:

InWeighOverMyHead said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! Boys are soooo fun! I am so happy for you guys!!! I am ready for pics!!!

Gregory Happenings said...

Shan and Sonje, I am so excited for you. I can't wait to meet your little one. What a blessing he is.
Much love,
Ang

karenewes said...

Hi you guys!
Congratulations and much love from Auntie Karen (Tina) and Uncle Tom (Tong)!!!!!
When you feel up to it, we are so looking forward to seeing Landon and of course you guys too! No pressure though. You guys need to settle in and what not. So let us know when you are ready. =) We are so happy for you guys and we look forward to watching him grow.
Love to you all!
All us Hughes'

Lindsey said...

Hooray!! We couldn't be more excited for you guys...you'll be fantastic parents. Please squeeze him for us...can't wait to see pics!